Thursday, March 10, 2011

it's a god thing: part two

There she was... Robin, *gasp*..... Jones, *gulp*.... Gunn *faint*............... (okay I didn't faint but I felt like I might!)

Robin was no more than seven feet away from our table.  Robin's eyes met mine, she smiled.  I was already smiling like crazy but when she started to wave at me the only thing I could do was smile and wave and, "HI ROBIN!"  Wow, where did that come from, I thought.  "Oh, man I am such an idiot!" I told myself so only Mom could hear me.  I imagined smacking myself on the forehead and saying "Der!". 
"Why, Hon?"  Mom asked concerned. 
"I feel like I've known Robin for like, years.  And here I am now making a fool of myself, waving to Robin Jones Gunn, thinking we've been friends since forever, when really I am just a complete stranger to her, and she must think I am such a complete idiot!  Omigosh!  She's walking over to our table!  Why is she coming so quickly?  I forgot what I was going to tell her!  How should I talk to her !?!?!?!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!"

Okay!  Yeah, I didn't know I could be this freaked out either until I was actually freaking out like that.  I didn't really say that last part..... aloud, that is.

"Hi, I'm Robin!  What's your name?"  Robin actually stood before me... she actually talked to me!
"Wow!  Um.... hi, Robin... I'm Alex (a lot of people call me by that name, fyi), you don't know me, but I've read your books and I am a huuge fan!"
I would define Robin's face as a sun (hear me out people!), she has this warm glow to her suntanned face (she lives in Hawaii, btw), twinkling eyes filled with joy and happiness,  and a wonderful woman of God sounding voice.
"Oh, I'm so glad you enjoy my books!" Robin said sitting down next to me.  Omigosh, she's actually sitting next to me! I thought in my head and bit my lip so I wouldn't scream  (if you don't fully know me by now, when i get nervous and excited at the same time, i ramble...a lot!).
"I know, right?  I just have a heart for your books!  You have inspired me to write my own stories!  Did you even know that I have a shelf in my room that is dedicated to your books?  I just love your books!  They are so amazing!  Do you know if your coming out with a new Katie Weldon book?  I just love those books!  They made me think a lot about college and how fun it will be to share an apartment with a roomie.  I have a best friend, who has read your books too, she loves them, I hope that she will be my roomie one day.  Did you have a roomie when you were in college?"

Yes I'm exaggerating!  I didn't say all of that!  Gosh, that would have been embarrassing!

"I'm really glad!"  Robin replied, still smiling.

Worship started before we could say anything else.  All I could think of when we were all singing was, Robin Jones Gunn is sitting right next to me!  I need to tell Robin about my blog!  I can't wait 'til worship is over so I can talk to her.  

Then I thought, Wait!  It's my time to worship God!  I need to focus on Him not Robin (no offence, Robin).  So I imagined that Robin wasn't even there, like all of a sudden *poof* she was gone.  That helped me a lot (again, no offence Robin)!

After worship, we went to three classes (not all in a row though).  Since this post is already too long (and i forgot my notes) I won't get into that right now.

After the first class, it was lunch time.  Yay!  I get to sit next to Robin again!  I said excitedly in my head.  There were beautifully made lunches on the table before us; a BLT croissant (yum!), a fruit salad (yum!), and an assortment of finger mini cupcake sized desserts (double yum!).


Look at that amazing sandwich!  It's so pretty (and BIG!)!

But when I sat down and looked over to where Robin would sit, her plate was half eaten (she didn't eat her plate she ate the food on her plate, sheesh!)  Disappointed, but assured myself I would get see her some more today.  But this was my time to talk to her without being rushed and everything!  I sorta pouted in my head, while sucking on a grape on my fork before eating.  I realized I was really hungry!  I ate nearly all my fruit then was (not in a rude way) interrupted by a voice, "Hello Ladies!"  Came the voice of Robin.  "Hi!" I managed to say with a wedge of pineapple in my mouth.  Robin sat down and started eating one of the desserts. 

It occurred to me, How on Earth am I going to eat this ginormous sandwich without looking like a complete pig?  I got out my knife (from the rolled up napkin, what, did you really think i'd bring a random knife in my purse...Uh-uh!) and cut the huge sandwich in half.  Though I was super hungry, I tried to eat slowly and sip iced tea in between bites.  That way if Robin asked me a question, I could reply to her without a gurgle in my throat or fling food to her from my mouth (or both)... Oh, how clever am I, I thought sipping my iced tea.

Robin, though, knew when to talk and when not to.  When she noticed I had just finish a bite of my BLT she started, "So, Alex.  What do you like to do?  Do you have any hobbies, any knacks, what?"  She said taking another bite of dessert. 

"Well, I love to read!  Your books inspired me to write some of my own stories.  I really love to write.... I do!  Like I said, you have inspired me to write and tell more people about God's amazing gift....so, uhhh.....yeah!"  I was doing the rambling thing again, so Mom politely came in and said, "Yeah, Alex is an amazing writer!  She even started her own blog.  It's really cool!  You should check it out sometime!"

I gave Mom a look; not the kind of look where you're thinking "Ugh!  Mom!" but the kind where you're thinking, "What would I do with out you, Mom!"

Mom smiled at me, as if she new what I was thinking.  Thank you, Mom, I thought.  I could have sworn that she whispered, Your welcome, sweet pea! , to me.  I have an amazing mom!

"Really!  That's so cool!  Tell me about it."  Robin sounded really interested, so I explained what got me thinking about starting my own blog, told her my blog was called it's my life, ya-da-ya-da-ya-da.....

Robin swallowed her previous bite of a chocolate brownie, grabbed my arm and said, "Alex, I have something to tell you,"

*Allie*
   

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Wow, you really know how to put a reader in suspense! That's so exciting!!!

Chelsea said...

Woa! This sounds super exctiting! I so happy for you!! And.... I totally the feeling of being starved and having fluffy sandwich in front of you.... This was at a hotel, right? Hotels usually make good food. lol! I also know the feeling of trying to eat super polite in front of someone you're trying to empress.....lol! Wow! It sounds scary/super fun!! Man, I feel butterflies just thinking about it!!

Allie said...

Actually, it was at Corban College (Salem, OR). It was a super long drive, but I thought the whole thing was worth it!

The food was a-mazing! I did not expect that kind of food there... I guess I expected like, cafeteria food, or something.

Got to finish the Narnia (#1) movie with the fam! Talk to you later!

*Allie*