Monday, March 7, 2011

it's a god thing: part one

How was your weekend?  Mine?  Thanks for asking!  Mine went a little something like this....


(before getting into this past weekend i'll share how this all got started)

A few weeks before my birthday, Grammy and I were looking at a Christian college magazine called Corban College.  Some of Grammy's friends had gone there so they shared this magazine with her.  We were flipping through some really cool things... and then we saw it!



Heard of Robin Jones Gunn?  Now is your chance to get to know her at Corban College, during our latest event Women 2 Women conference!  She will be signing her well know Christy Miller series, Sierra Jensen series, Katie Weldon series, Sister Chicks and more, there.  Hope you can join us there!

Okay, if you are not familiar with Robin, she is a wonderful women of God, who has written these amazing books for all ages!  She is my one and only favorite author in the world!  The first time I read the Christy Miller series , I was eleven years old and it was summer time.  I was really bored and I needed something to read, So Mom suggested we go to the library.  Mom quickly found the Christy Miller volume one book and told me, "I remember when I read these when I was a little older than you were!  These would be perfect for you!"
Six months later I've read through the Christy Miller series, Sierra Jensen series and now waiting for Christy and Todd the college years on hold from the library.  You can most definitely say that I was (and am) hooked!

Years later I'm sitting on the couch with Grammy, flipping through the Corban College magazine, ya-da-ya-da-ya-da, "Woundn't that be so cool if we went, Allie!"  Grammy told me, "Uh...uh-huh!"  I said super excitedly.  I had never really met a famous person before!  If I did go what would I say, what would I do?  I probably won't even get to talk to her, I thought to myself.  "Maybe that could be one of your birthday presents!  You, your mom, and I could go out for a whole weekend together!"  Grammy said almost more excited as I was, "Yeah...maybe..."  I was still stuck on the thought that there would be a huge chance that I wouldn't be able to talk to my favorite author.  I told Grammy how I felt, "Well there is chance you won't be able to talk very long, but the experience would be really fun!"  She said encouragingly and I agreed.

Friday morning (months later)....the day we (Grammy, Mom, and I) leave for Corban College!  A six hour drive, but I knew the whole thing would be worth it :D  First stop, coffee shop! 

To be honest... I'm not allowed to have any caffeine....ever!  I have had a few cans of Diet Coke before, but never coffee.  Mom told me that since this was a special occasion, I could have a blended white chocolate coffee, with one shot of coffee in it.  I was all like, WOOOHOOO!!!!! ......and that was with out the caffeine!
When I had that first sip, I knew I was hooked.  The whole drink was like a coffee milkshake....soooooo gooooood!  I drank it within seven minutes.... (that explains a whole lot about me, *haha*)
I started getting the jitters and at first I thought I was just cold...no, no... I just had the jitters!  I was so full, I thought I was going to be sick, thank God a million times I didn't!

A little over six hours later we had found our hotel which was just beautiful!  We drove to Corban College to see how far it was from the hotel, then drove to a Japanese restaurant for dinner.  Came back to our hotel room, tired and full, did an hour of Algebra homework (i know, right?), and fell into our beds and went to sleep...well I did...*smile*

Seven am (the usual morning line up *giggle*... ugh, click here if you don't know what i'm talking about).... Mom wakes me up to get ready for the conference!

Eight thirty am..... we arrived at Corban College and we are looking at about a hundred tables, with women of all ages swarming around.  We see a table near the front with four open seats.  I suggest we sit over there, so we quickly make our way to the table.  In front of us is a paper bag with colorful tissue paper sticking out (I got purple). 
i got a water bottle, a purple pen, chap stick, a pad of tissues, a book mark, and our schedule! 

Grammy and Mom were on my right and on my left was the empty seat.  I immediately started looking for Robin.  No sign of her.  Grammy and Mom had already started up a conversation with the other women at the table, "So do you gals like Robin's books?" They asked, "Yeah we all have really enjoyed them.  My daughter is a huge fan of Robin!" Mom replied.  I smiled.  "Really!?!  Do you know who is sitting next to you then," She read my name tag, ", Alex?" (btw: i go by alex a lot!).... "Um, no." I said smiling a little, not sure who I might sit by, "Robin...Jones...Gunn!"  They said.

 All of a sudden the room got hot.  Omigosh!  What am I gonna do!  My favorite author is going to be sitting next to me!  Me!  Out of the hundred tables in this one room, she was going to sit at this table...... and sit next to....*gulp*.......................ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I was excited and totally nervous at the same time.  What would I say....I have to mention that I love her books, that's for sure....... and that she inspired me to write, too......oh and that I have a blog!  I have to tell her that I have a blog.....wait, how am I going to tell her I have a blog with out sounding rude and demanding that she visit my blog sometime!  Omigosh!  What am I going to say!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  Then.... "Allie!  Look behind yoou!"

*Allie*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I even know how this ends and you have me on the edge of my seat! Can't wait to read the rest. {Love ya!}

Aunt Sal/Mom/G Sally said...

Great writing style, Allie. I look forward to reading the next installment. I enjoyed your colorful descriptions and good use of photos.
I also was pleased that you took your algebra homework with you!
Love,
B. Doug

Rachael said...

AAAHHH! What happens next?! What a great oppurtunity!

Chelsea said...

Woa! That's crazy!!! What a rush!!! XD Sounds really exciting!!!