Saturday, May 14, 2011

princess and pirate ball

Yes, it was wonderful and beautiful... and cold (really cold).  It took me about two hours to get ready.  I wore my Easter Sunday dress and my first pair of heels (click here for more details on my heels)!  Mom got me some new makeup to work with for the ball (thanks mom!) and took me out for a pedicure (thanks mom!).  I curled my hair, put a mini tiara in my hair that I got from Disney World.  It was so much fun getting ready:)  These videos came to mind when I thought of the ball,








After Mom painted my finger nails (cause, you know, i suck at it if i do it myself), she looked at our youth pastors facebook page, and she was all like, "Nate just wrote that he hired dance instructors to help you guys dance!"  The world around me all of a sudden slowed to a stop, Dance?!?!  Like,  really dance?!?!  With a *gulp*... boy?!?!?  I thought in my ready to pass out brain.  I honestly didn't expect dancing (like for real dancing) a ballroom dance or doing the Cha-cha!  I thought we would be dancing the Chicken Dance (yeah, our youth group is wild!) or something crazy like that!  But oh no, it was official; we were all going to learn a ballroom dance (or waltz i guess...idk) and the Cha-cha.

The whole time I was getting ready, that was all I was thinking about... dancing.  When Mom called me down for dinner, I felt really sick to my stomach, Ugh!  Just what need before going to a real (and first) dance!  Dinner *blah*... 

I told Mom I wasn't hungry and said I'd pass dinner tonight, "No, at least eat a little bit of dinner." Mom said as I forced myself to sit down at the table and eat a quarter of what I had on my plate.  Then Mom wanted pictures....


hand lotion, face lotion, and my hairspray!

my pretty blue brush!

gettin' ready!

SAY  HAIRSPRAY!

oops!  i need to start all over:(


dress and cardigan: target, tiara:WDW, heels: payless, earings: kohls, necklace: a gift

i love the color i chose!  it went really well with the outfut!



When Mom dropped me off at church, I got all nervous/excited/hot/sweaty...... basically, what any other teen would feel like at there first dance.... or maybe it was just me.  I found one of my new friends, Libby, that I had met at the winter youth retreat last winter, and we talked and walked around before the dance started. 

The church was all decked out with everything pirates and princesses!  At every arch/doorway, there was a trellis of pretty pink flowers and green leaves (all fake but realistic looking), I think you can guess that was for the princesses.  For the pirates, there was a huge pirate flag, and Pirates of the Caribbean theme music in the background.  Guys wore a selection of pirate hats, eye patches, a hook, regular clothes, or a whole pirate costume!  Some girls wore jeans and a t-shirt, a cotton dress (like i did), or a full on prom dress.  I noticed one of the girls there, had a really showy offy dress (there was absolutely no back to it... i almost threw up at the sight of  boys going googly eye over her and her taking it all in), who I will not name. 

Many girls shrieked as they ran for the bathroom screaming that they got nacho cheese on their dress (of all the snacks in the world they chose nachos.... really?!?!  at a formal!?!?!).  The funny thing is, is that I didn't see any of the guys eating the nachos, I only saw girls with nachos (it just made me laugh).  Libby and I were steering clear from the nachos, and fretting about the whole "you gotta dance with a boy" thing.

When we went through the door to the "ball room/ dance floor for the night", there were two rows of chairs, one on one side of the room, one on the other.  Girls on one side, boys on the other.  Libby and I grasped each others hands; my heart was pounding, I was sweating more than ever in my life, and my face was supper red.  Please know that I am not usually a sweater (seriously), I think it was just the occasion that started this..... I was freaking out so badly.

When our dance instructor told us to pick partners, Libby and I turned to each other, "Partners!"  We said at the same time.  Apparently, a lot of other girls were doing the same thing.  Libby and I danced for a while, got lost and didn't know what to do, found our places again, danced some more, then sat on the chairs on the girls side.  My legs ached and my feet were killing me, How on earth can girls on Dancing with the Stars do this all the time in heels?!?!  I thought, slipping of my shoes. 

A guy came up to Libby and asked her to dance.  She glanced at me and I smiled; she told me before she was NOT going to dance with a guy, "Um, sure."  The instructor was just teaching us things at this point.  It wasn't a "Ooh, let's see what guy will ask me to dance with him" kinda thing (but still, a big thing for most girls and guys).  I think some leaders were telling some of the guys on their bench to ask the girls on their bench to dance.

Finally a guy asked me (eep!), "You want to dance?" My mind was spinning {processing..... processing.... processing....}, How do I tell him I don't want to.  If I tell him I don't I'll hurt his feelings and I'll just end up sitting on the bench by myself.  That would be embarrassing!  How do I tell him I want to dance with him then?  What if I make a complete idiot out of myself, and step on his foot or worse lead when he's supposed to be leading.  I was thinking all of this (or more) in five seconds tops,  "U-uh... sure."  I got up and followed him to the dance floor. 

I watched and listened as the instructor told us ladies to take a spin under the gentleman's arm (there must be a name for that move, i just can't think of it now), "Oh great..." He and I both said, as well as the other ninety-so kids on the dance floor.  The spin, our instructor said, was supposed to last six seconds (a really looooonnng spin), so like, one (mississippi), two (mississippi), three (mississippi), four (mississippi), five (mississippi), six (mississippi)......... imagine each second (and mississippi) feeling like a thousand years.

"Get in your position, ladies and gentlemen!" Our instructor called out.  "My guy" held up his left hand which I nervously slid my right hand into, then putting my left hand on his arm, and then his right hand on my left shoulder blade, please don't pass out!  please don't pass out!  PLEASE DON'T PASS OUT!!! I screamed in my head.  I was thinking about not passing out so much, I went for the twirl in two seconds instead of six!  How embarrassing!  I told my self.  "My guy" looked around and noticed everyone else was still doing the spin, "Hey so-en-so (i forgot what what his friend's name was), we beat you!  Haha!"  Are you kidding me?!?!  I thought in my head as I stared at my toes.

Our instructor told us to do that move two more times, so I felt a little better.  The last two times, I did it perfectly (if i may say so myself), yet still nervous and really tired.  When our instructor told us to switch partners...... I don't even remember what happened.  I think "my guy" and I might have smiled at each other.... I'm not sure if we said bye, but I think to the guy it was, "Hurry up!  All the good girls are gonna be taken!" I don't know...

I ended up sitting on the bench again with Libby.  We looked at each other for a long time, "We did it."  I said to her.  "I know..... it was so scary!!!!"  and then we talked about how nervous we were for the next ten minutes.  The Cha-cha was next.

After the Cha-cha, it was time to go.  I had the time of my life dancing with my friend, Libby.  I danced with a boy for the first time, oh can I tell you guys something.  I'm not really interested in the guy I danced with, if that's what you're wondering.  I don't know, I mean his appearance was okay but not ugly, if you know what I mean.  But then again I shouldn't be judging some one by their cover:) I just don't think I could see us "together", besides, it was just a dance.

When I got home and after watching an episode of The Middle (i love that show), I went to bed.  My legs and feet were sore, my head was spinning with all the events that night, and I thought...... that's it, I just thought.  I won't tell you what I thought, but I'll tell you that I just thought.... a lot.

*Allie*  

2 comments:

Aunt Sal/Mom/G Sally said...

What a night for you, Allie!!! You looked just beautiful - and it sounds as if you and your friend, Libby, had a lot of fun! Loved your shoes...but sure felt your pain!!! I don't know how they manage in Dancing w the Stars, either!!! LYL, Grammy

ashley said...

Love your writing style =) Very honest.
I've only ever been to one dance, a swing dance, with my cousins and a little old man asked me to dance. He was really sweet, and I thought it was hilarious because I am a pretty old soul on the inside =P And every other form of dance I've done, I'm always the "older sis" teaching boys to dance. Glad you had fun!