Tuesday, December 21, 2010

let's talk about slippers

A couple of years ago, my (great!) Great-Grandparents got me a pair of frog slippers for my birthday!  I fell in love with them!  I would wear them during school, or reading a book, or watching a movie but I would never walk outside with them; they were so special to me!

Well fast forward a few years and they don't look the same way they did when I first got them.  I had worn open patches through the bottom, they were dirty, and Lucy was starting to rip into them.  So when I got the idea this year to be a teenager in PJs for Halloween, I thought I could wear those!  My whole outfit was stuff I usually wear on Saturday mornings, and I had only used like three bucks for the accessories.  Mom said, that if I wanted I could get the frog slippers from Amazon and use the money I would be using on a costume, for the slippers.  So the last time I wore my frog slippers were on Halloween!  I was so excited, I was going to get a brand new pair of my frog slippers!
You probably remember this picture, but there I am with my Teenager in PJs outfit with my frog slippers on.  I actually got blisters on my feet from walking for a half an hour in those fuzzy little guys!
 So when I got home; blisters and imprints in my feet from the rocks in the road, I was ready to say good by to them!  Mom and Dad were like, "You should give those to the Good Will, someone would be really happy to have those slippers," "Trust me guys, I would be doing that someone a favor, when you wear these you can feel every crack and crevice in the floor, I might as well be bare foot."  I hope that didn't come out snotty because I didn't mean to say it in that way, you know like talking back to my parents.
You can see that Lucy was going for the eyes in this picture; the thread is all torn but still on, and still kinda' cute.

But on the bottom, *yeash* even looking at those gives me blisters! *shudder*

Goodbye Frog Slippers! (small cry behind the camera)
So the new slippers were on their way, and I was like asking my Mom everyday, "Did the frog slippers come yet?", the answer was always no until, "Omigosh!  I can't believe they're here!" I said ripping into the box.  When I look at what I thought were my identical slippers online, in person they were... well... scary.  It was the same brand but the eyes were different, the smile was... not the same, and... they weren't mine you know.  So I was kinda' ticked, and that was the only thing they had under frog slippers online, "This must be the new style," Mom had said, and I was so sad.  I had thrown my frog slippers away thinking that I would get the exact same frog slippers.  Every time I wore those I always thought of my Great-Grandparents.

So a few weeks went by and Mom finally convinced me to look for a new pair of slippers.  It was a little sad, but winter was approaching and my toes were getting cold!  We were at Target in the slippers section, and I found them, no they weren't the frog slippers but the cutest pair of regular slippers I was like, "Mom I found the perfect slippers!", these are grey, with like a knit/crochet look to them, nice and fuzzy inside (and out), and have a rubber sole to it like a shoe would so it won't wear out.  Bonus: they have flowers on the bottom of them (hehe)!
Cute huh?  Yeah, I think so too!

Just like the bottom of a shoe!

See!  Flowers!
 I am very happy with my slippers!  When ever I wear 'em, I think of my (great!) Great-Grandparents : )
I wear them all the time (I'm actually wearing them now), and If I wear them with ankle socks, my toes are even more nice and toasty!

*Allie*

1 comment:

Aunt Sal/Mom/G Sally said...

Oh, Allie...this was such a sweet, funny and a little sad blog! Saying "good-bye" to something that you love just never is easy...but it's just so cool (or maybe WARM...ha!ha!ha!) that you still think of Grandma B. and Pappa J. when you wear your new, non-froggy but really pretty gray slippers! LYL, Grammy